Friday, September 25, 2009

Focaccia BLT

Yes, I am an advocate of baking from scratch as often as possible and yes, I try to avoid processed foods as a general rule of thumb – but realistically, sometimes you just need a shortcut! When I do resort to a package mix of any kind, I add my own fresh ingredients to the mix so it feels homemade. For example; if I make package brownie mix I add Kahlúa and chocolate covered espresso beans.

Today I made Focaccia bread from a box and added – well, you know those Everything Bagels? – That’s kind of what I was aiming for.

Italian-Style Focaccia Bread
1 package Focaccia bread mix (I used and Italian-style Asiago and Sweet Basil blend)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon chopped, dried onion
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary (in keeping with the Italian theme)

I made the mix per package instructions, except I switched out their packet of yeast for my own Rapid Rise Yeast, and I added the above ingredients.

Also, instead of baking the loaf on a baking sheet as suggested, I put it in a small casserole as I wanted to add height to the loaf for the sandwiches I’d be making for dinner.




Mmm...Smells like Noah’s Bagels in here!

After the loaf cools on a wire rack, slice in half horizontally and drizzle each side with approximately 1 tablespoon each, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.



 
To assemble the BLT - Spread both sides of the focaccia with mayonnaise - top with crispy bacon, sliced tomatoes (salt and pepper to taste) - then pile on the lettuce - add some fresh basil leaves if you wish. Serve with a dill pickle spear and a side of salad or fruit. Tonight we had potato salad.




Bakin’ Bacon
Thick cut bacon, for two I made used 10 slices
Fresh ground pepper

Spray a rimmed baking sheet and a large baking rack with non-stick cooking spray. Place the rack over the baking sheet. Put the bacon slices on the rack - over the baking sheet. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 350-degrees F. for 12-15 minutes – remove from oven and flip bacon over – bake another 12 minutes and flip one last time – continue baking to desired crispness, approximately 3-5 minutes for thick cut bacon. Be careful not to splash bacon grease as you remove bacon from the oven.

Baking your bacon separates the bacon from the grease – less fat to ingest and you don’t have to give up the crunch! I just know that in heaven, bacon and chocolate will both be fat-free and calorie free!

I will give you my recipe for my basic potato salad in another posting. Instead let me quickly tell you my trick for the perfect hard-boiled egg every time.

In truth, the perfect hard-boiled egg is not really boiled. But I promise, if you follow these easy steps, (and you are using fresh eggs!) you will never have to worry about sticking shells or slightly raw yokes, etc. Here is how you do it:

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs EVERYTIME
In a small sauce pan, place 4 inches of cool water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Set aside.

Meanwhile, using a small straight-pin, poke a hole in the wide-rounded end of each egg – be careful not to puncture too deeply, just pierce the shell. What this step does is allows for water to seep into the shell and help separate the membrane from the shell so that when you go to peel it, it does not stick to the egg.

Place eggs into water and place pan over high heat, cover with lid and bring to a rolling boil. As soon as the eggs come to a boil, remove it from the heat - leave the lid on. Set the for 18 to 20 minutes, depending on the number of eggs being cooked. (I usually cook 6 at a time for 18 minutes).

While the eggs are resting in the hot water, fill a bowl with 3 cups ice and cold water until approximately 5-6 inches deep. When the timer goes off, drain the eggs and then plunge them into the ice water.

Leave the eggs sit in the ice water until cool to the touch, approximately 5 minutes – this step stops the cooking process and prevents the eggs from getting a green sulfur ring around the yolk.

Another helpful hint regarding hard-boiled eggs is when you go to crack them open, always rap the larger rounded end of the egg on the counter first (it has to do with the air pocket in that end of the egg - I don't remember the exact details of why - just trust me - it helps). Then rap the pointed end on the counter, follow by rolling the sides on the counter breifly - then peel under cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter