Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Appointments - errands – husband working late – next thing I know it is past dinnertime and I am starved - I forgot to eat lunch! There aren’t a lot of things my husband won’t eat, but I find that when I know he won’t be home for dinner, I tend to eat what I normally avoid to appease his likes and dislikes. Tonight, I’ve decided, it is too hot to cook. The Santa Ana Winds have kicked in early and it was 104-degrees F last I looked.

So – I grabbed a few slices of Italian peppered salami, sliced some fresh mozzarella, vine-ripened tomatoes and Kalamata olives, tore off a few fresh basil leaves, added cracked black pepper and olive oil and there was dinner!  Took me longer to open a bottle of wine than it did to prepare the meal!


Sometimes the simplest things in life really are the best!
Cheers!

Quick Note:  My sister-in-law, Lynn, makes a similar dish sans salami and Kalamata - and adds a drizzle of balsamic vinegar instead - Delizioso!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter