Thursday, September 17, 2009

You Are What You Eat

To prep for food allergy tests I need to consume gluten to avoid a false negative test result.  So lucky you – I will be making and posting some of my favorite recipes that I’ve concocted over the years! Gluten or no gluten – I’ll still stick to the basics of trying to eat a rainbow everyday and using food in its most natural form as often as possible.
             

My mother used to constantly warn me - You are what you eat! - I half expected to grow up looking like a giant taco flavored Dorito. Like most children growing up, I loathed anything green (except guacamole!) However I was very fortunate - my parents had a rule that we had to eat one tablespoon of everything served for dinner - no exceptions. Once we ate a taste of everything, we were allowed to fill our plates with our favorite parts of the meal- providing we ate everything we put on our plates. Thanks to these simple rules, us girls grew to love all kinds of food.

Did someone mention guacamole? =)  When I was a young girl, there was a family in our church that owned a Mexican restaurant and that is where I had my first taste of this exotic new thing called guacamole. They would serve it in a crunchy, edible corn tortilla bowl and it was such a treat!

I recently had a reader ask my advice on guacamole and as I am about to go make some, I thought I'd post my reply and then share a picture of today's batch.

My husband and I have what we call “Tapas Time” every Saturday and Sunday around 3PM after our swim. We don’t even need a clock - our stomachs let us know it's time!

The key to a great guacamole is to use a great avocado.
I live in Southern California where avocados are abundant. My favorite is the Lamb Hass variety which is in season late June through October. It has a pebbly dark green skin that turns to nearly black when it is ripe. Look for fruit (yes, avocado is a fruit!) that is average to large, oval-shaped and heavy for its size - no mushy soft spots. The avocado should yield to gentle pressure from your thumb.


My Guacamole Recipe:  When Hass avocados are in their peak season, I am a purest! Simply peel and pit two ripe avocados, place in a bowl and add approximately 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice (prevents the guacamole from turning brown) and a sprinkling (to taste) of coarse Kosher salt. Mash together to mix and that’s all there is to it! When you have a beautiful tasting avocado why hide the flavor behind strong seasonings? Salt and lime complement the natural creamy flavor of a good avocado.

As October nears, the flavor of the Hass begins to fade - so today I added 1/4 t. chili pepper blend from a tube.  During off-season for Hass, I add other ingredients to my guacamole such as a firm, diced Roma tomato (seeds removed), plus approximately ¼ cup finely minced Spanish onion, and if you like it hot, a tablespoon (more or less to taste) of very finely diced jalapeño pepper.

When picking avocados, Hass or not, make sure your avocado is perfectly ripened. If the avocado is over ripe the flesh will be stringy and brown. If the avocado is under ripe it will taste bitter and the texture will be hard. Avocados mature on the tree, but soften and develop to their fullest flavor after they are picked. A firm green avocado typically ripens within three to four days. If the skin is splotchy with green and black patches it will be ready for use sooner, in two to three days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter