Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Perfect Asparagus

I was on the phone with one of my many, many neices this Easter (note how I am not giving any clues as to which one). I asked what she was having for dinner, and one of the items she listed was "those green slimey things mom likes"...After some sluething, it was concluded she was describing asparagus. This prompted me to post on how to make perfect asparagus every time. I agree with my neice, when not cooked properly, aspargus is nasty stuff! By the way, my definition of perfect aspargus is that it is bright in color, crispy to the teeth and seasoned only enough to enhance the natural flavor.

First of all, when you are choosing asparagus, grasp the center of a single spear and pull gently. The spear should feel firm, and not at all rubbery. There should be no apparent wrinkles in the spears either. I try to buy asparagus that is pencil thin, not for any reason other than I don't want to have to spend the time paring it down if it is the fat kind. 

Rinse well. Place the center of a single spear between the thumb and forefinger of one hand, and grasp the farthest end of the stem with your other hand. Bend and the spear will break naturally at the place where the woody tip begins. Lay the 'snapped' spear next to the rest of the spears and cut them all the same length.
Hint:  I have found the best way to cook asparagus evenly is in a skillet. Place the spears in a single layer and cover with approximately 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and let boil ONLY 1 MINUTE. Immediately remove asparagus from the skillet and place into a bowl of ice and water - let sit for 5 minutes. Drain. This stops the asparagus from overcooking, a.k.a. from being 'slimey' and also brightens the green color of the vegetable, which makes it more appealing. (Please note that if you are using the thicker asparagus, you may need to add 1 to 2 more minutes to the cooking time).
(See how, after the ice bath, they are almost greener than when they were fresh?!)

At this point, either cut spears on a diagonal into 2 inch sections - or leave whole. Return asparagus to the skillet. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Cook over medium heat until just reheated through. Serve immediately.

I like to use soy sauce in place of salt with my cooked veggies. It adds a hint of extra flavor without being obvious it is soy. Love it!
 
Time for me to go marinade the chicken for tonight...chipotle-maple - - - watch for it!

1 comment:

  1. This was very helpful in figuring out how to harvest our few little asparagus from the garden.

    Oh, the cold water bath is something Walt likes to do with broccoli. (I prefer mine hot from the pan before they take the cold dip.)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter